Young Girl Dies in Maine After Badminton Racket Malfunctions

 June 8, 2024

A tragic badminton accident in Maine has resulted in the death of a six-year-old girl.

In Limerick, Maine, a vacation turned devastating when Lucy Morgan, aged six, died after being struck by fragments of her brother’s broken badminton racket, Daily Mail Online reported.

While playing a game of badminton with her family during a vacation, Lucy's 10-year-old brother's racket shattered unexpectedly. A metal fragment from the racket pierced Lucy's skull, leading to severe brain injuries. Despite immediate medical intervention, the young girl battled for her life for four days.

The Medical Battle That Followed the Accident

Lucy was urgently airlifted to Maine Medical Center in Portland following the accident. There, she underwent emergency surgery to alleviate pressure on her brain caused by the injury. Despite the efforts of medical personnel, her condition deteriorated. Following a cardiac arrest, Lucy was resuscitated but had little chance of survival.

Jesse Morgan, Lucy’s father and a pastor, expressed the family's shock and grief through updates on his church blog. He recalled their horror as they rushed to the scene after hearing screams while relaxing in the backyard.

Jesse Morgan recounted the fateful moment with heavy sorrow: "Due to a freak accident with a racquet that broke on a downward swing, a sharp piece had entered Lucy's skull while she was sitting on the sideline and caused catastrophic injury."

Unwavering Support From the Community

The incident quickly drew an emotional response locally and online, leading to a flood of support for the Morgan family. A GoFundMe campaign was launched to aid the family during this devastating time, raising over $93,000. The community's kindness was felt deeply by the Morgans, who were preparing to conclude their week-long vacation in Maine with relaxing activities like kayaking before the tragic incident.

Jesse Morgan touched on their overwhelming support: "Thank you all for helping us hope. We are hanging on but can't imagine life without Lucy-goose."

A Sacred Farewell

Lucy's health declined, and her family made the heart-wrenching decision to say their goodbyes. In her final moments, surrounded by her three siblings and parents at her bedside, the family sang her favorite hymn, adding a layer of sacredness to their farewell. Jesse Morgan described it as one of the most touching experiences he has ever had.

Lucy's official time of death was declared at around 4 am on June 5. Although her physical presence was lost, the emotional impact of her tragic passing continued to resonate. Her funeral was broadcast live from the Green Pond Bible Chapel, allowing those who were touched by her story to participate from afar.

Jesse Morgan reflected: "Am I willing to submit to my advice? Right now, holding her hand, I'm not America."

The Maine State Police called the incident a "sad and tragic situation," a sentiment echoed throughout the community. Their hearts and countless others went out to the Morgan family in this time of unimaginable loss.

In conclusion, the heartbreaking story of Lucy Morgan underscores the fragility of life and the profound effect of community support in times of tragedy. While the family copes with their loss, the memory of Lucy and the sacred moments leading up to her passing leave a lasting imprint on those involved.

About Victor Winston

Victor is a freelance writer and researcher who focuses on national politics, geopolitics, and economics.

Top Articles



Receive information on new articles posted, important topics and tips.
Join Now
We won't send you spam. 
Unsubscribe at any time.

Recent Articles

Recent Analysis

Copyright © 2024 -
A Project of Connell Media.